Commercial Mould Testing

Surprisingly dead mould is more of a health hazard than live mould so it is imperative to remove it. The action of killing a mould causes the relatively large spore to fragment into tiny pieces often less than 5 microns which are inhaled deep into the lung or alveoli where blood oxygen transfer occurs. This means in effect any allergenic or toxic effect of the mould spore may be carried directly into the blood stream. These small particles (less than 7.5micron) bypass all human defences to enter the lower respiratory system.

This is the advice of The World Health Organisation and most international bodies. The WHO have stated the greatest risk from mould is from inhalation and in particular the smaller fragments of mycelia and fragments of dead or dormant mould and of course live spores. If you kill mould by drying, fungicides, bleach and other methods you will create a cloud of contaminates.

One cubic inch of mould can contain 1 billion spores, generally counts of single genus over 500, are recognised as a potential health hazard. Mould must be removed carefully and the air should always be decontaminated.


Asthma and respiratory diseases are two of the leading causes of sickness and death in New Zealand.

BILLION - the cost to NZ each year
in 7 children have asthma
in 6 have a respiratory disease